Friday, October 3, 2008

Chowder on a rainy day

A few months ago my mom blessed me with a couple dozen mini cookbooks.  I have sorted through them and have picked out a few to try.  I tried a new one last night.  It was Mushroom-Potato Chowder.  It was very good...Well at least Daniel, Brenna and I thought so.  McKenna had a rough time with it and after dinner asked me "why did I cook food that she doesn't like".  The recipe made just enough for the four of with no left overs.  I think I will double the recipe next time.  I hope that you will try it.  It you do please let me know what you think.  

MUSHROOM-POTATO CHOWDER

1 tablespoon margarine or butter
2 medium size potato- cubed
1 1/2 cups of sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chicken-flavor instant bouillon
3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes ( any brand will do) 
1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves 

Melt margarine in medium saucepan.  Add onions, garlic, potato and 1 cup water.  Slow cook until potatoes are just beginning to get tender (do not over cook or potato will be mush). Add bouillon and mushrooms. Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve bouillon.  

Reduce heat to low; stir in all remaining ingredients.  Cook until thoroughly heated, STIRRING FREQUENTLY ( so that potato flakes to not get lumpy).  Serve

I served the chowder with Garlic cheddar biscuit ( Bisquick recipe).  


1 comment:

Deborah said...

Yum! Sounds delicious! Okay-we are going to try it! Thanks for sharing. I had a really good time visiting with you the other day. Jeff and I adore the girls! Next we want to have you and Dan both over to visit. Looking forward to it! Let's hope the weather is cooperative tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

MERRY CHRISTMAS